Cookbook Reviews

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Sunday, November 10, 2013

Pumpkin Crunch


Several of my Facebook friends are notorious for posting recipes on their profiles. Now, I have to say that NONE of these recipes are low-fat. Not a one!! When my friend Lisa posted this recipe I thought three things. First, was that I had all of the ingredients. Next, this would be a perfect recipe for Bette Lee Crosby's Midweek Mixers. Finally, this is another really simple Thanksgiving dessert that can be made a day ahead of time. In fact, I would recommend it. 

Now, a note...the original recipe simply calls for butter. The people I had taste test my recipes, as well as myself, noted that they could taste the salt in the butter which really gave it an off salty taste periodically. I would call for UNSALTED butter.

My taste testers LOVED this recipe. It had a cookie type of topping versus a pie crust taste. I topped with whipped cream and some pumpkin pie spice. 

So, here we go!:

Ingredients:

1 15 ounce can pumpkin pie filling
1 12 ounce can evaporated milk
1.5 cups white sugar
3 eggs
1.5 t. cinnamon
1 box YELLOW cake mix
2 sticks (1 cup) UNSALTED butter

Directions:

1) Prepare a 9x13 pan by spraying with non-stick cooking spray. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2) In a large bowl, combine the first 5 ingredients. Beat until well-blended. Pour into prepare pan. 

3) Top mixture with the dry cake mix.

4) Melt the two sticks of butter and pour over dry cake mix.

5) Bake in oven for 1 hour and 10 minutes. Allow to cool completely. As I stated in my note above, refrigerate for one day ahead of serving.

2 comments: