Cookbook Reviews

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Sunday, November 10, 2013

Spaghetti Carbonara with Bacon


My sister gave me this recipe about 20 years ago and it remains one of my all-time favorite ways to eat spaghetti. Loaded down with bacon, the noodles pick up that flavor. It is then partnered with the creaminess of eggs and half/half. Needless to say, it is also loaded down with fat and calories, so I no longer have it that often. When I do, it is a real treat.

One of the most important things to remember about this dish is that the eggs must be stirred into very hot spaghetti. I will even have a small flame going under the pan because I tend to be a bit more paranoid than the average cook regarding uncooked eggs. I have substituted whole milk for the half/half; however, I have found that I really enjoy the half/half more.

I partner with commercial Caesar salad and garlic bread and I have dinner in less than half and hour. 

So, on that note...here we go!:

Ingredients:

1 lb thick cut bacon, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
2 t. jarred garlic
1 T. olive oil
16 oz spaghetti
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup half/half or more, as desired for creaminess

Directions:

1) In a large pot, combine bacon, olive oil, garlic and onion. Fry until bacon is slightly crisp and onion is translucent. Be very careful regarding burning garlic.

2) Boil pasta, as directed on box. Return to pan and turn on small flame under pan. Add eggs and stir to coat. Add contents of bacon pan and toss until well blended.

3)  Add half/half and stir/toss until well blended.

No comments:

Post a Comment