Cookbook Reviews

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Monday, April 22, 2013

Litton's Favorite Chicken with Mushroom Gravy


Source: The Dinner Doctor by Anne Byrn

I had a new cookbook recommended to me this past week and as usual, opened it to search for new recipes to have my family "guinea pig". This is one that I knew my family would enjoy and they sure did! There is nothing too fancy about the recipe, but I knew it was a good one.

Note: This recipe called for bone in chicken breasts, but I have to say if I was going to do it again I would debone the breasts or use boneless/skinless chicken breasts and simply alter the cooking time.. This chicken has to cook for several hours so the chicken almost falls off the bone. Problem is that when it does this, the bones becomes part of the gravy, which can be dangerous especially for young eaters.

So, here we go!:

Ingredients:

4 Bone in chicken breasts
Salt/pepper
3 T. vegetable oil
1 large onion thinly sliced
2 (4 oz cans) mushrooms
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
1 soup can milk
1 soup can water
3 T. dry sherry

Directions:

1) Preheat oven to 300 degrees.  Salt/pepper breasts. Heat vegetable oil in a large non-stick pan and brown breasts for 4 minutes on skin side (bone side up). Place in a large dutch oven or lasagna pan.

2) Place onions and mushrooms in same skillet and cook until softened. Add the rest of the ingredients to pan and stir until well blended. Pour over breasts. Cover tightly with foil or cover.

3) Bake breasts in the oven until fork tender (2.5-3 hours). Remove and de-bone chicken. Serve gravy over chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment