Cookbook Reviews

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Pub and Grub Forum Logo

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Turtle Bars



I love Turtles. Love them in ANY form. When I saw this recipe posted on Pinterest...yes, that EVIL, EVIL place Pinterest, I knew I was making them, but I also it would be really dangerous to have 40 of these things laying around my house calling for me. The perfect opportunity again was for my live book club and library staff. These are also pretty rich so a small bar goes a long way. Be sure to cut them small.


I think the most difficult part of this was the caramel. It required the most attention to detail to make sure it didn't burn, yet blended well. Be sure not to leave it while it is cooking.

Ingredients: 

Bar Base

2 cup flour
1 cup brown sugar
½ cup softened butter
6 oz. pecan halves or chopped pecans

Topping

2/3 cup butter
½ cup brown sugar

1 bag semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions: 

1) Preheat oven to 350°F.

2) Blend the flour, sugar, and butter with an electric mixer until  the mixture looks coarse and crumbly. 

3) Press mixture into a 9×13-inch pan. 

4) Arrange the pecans over the flour mixture; set aside.

5) In a small sauce pan, melt butter and brown sugar.  Stirring frequently, bring to a boil. Boil for 30 seconds, stirring constantly to make sure the mixture is fully blended.
  
6) Remove from heat and pour the over the pecans-covered base. 

7)Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle with chocolate chips.  Return to oven for 5 minutes.  

8) Remove, and with an offset spatula, spread the chocolate into an even layer.

9)  Let cool in pan completely and then cut into small squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment